Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Michael Lee/Black Brandon

Fall is around the corner and I will be faced with the decision of what shows to add to my TV watching itinerary. I will remain faithful to Heroes, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and 30 Rock. I'll probably try out Fox's Fringe because Joshua Jackson remains one of my favorites. I'll also watch the first few episodes of the new 90210 on the CW. That's right, I'm going to watch a trashy teen drama. I have my reasons.

One reason is that the "Walshes" (I don't know the name of the new family, but you know whom I'm referring to) are relocating to Beverly Hills from Kansas City, Missouri (my hometown, represent!). Another reason is that one of my favorite characters (Michael Lee) from one of the best shows I've ever seen (The Wire) is one of the show's stars. He plays "Brandon" (known as Dixon on the new 90210). Tristan Wilds, the actor who played Michael Lee, is black. On 90210, his character was adopted by the white "Walshes" in Kansas City. My friend Kellye coined the nickname Black Brandon and probably no matter what roles are ahead in Tristan Wilds' sure to be long career, he will always be affectionately known as Black Brandon (at least to Kellye and I).


The other day, I was at the intersection of La Brea and Wilshire, and saw men putting up this corner billboard. I did a triple take. There was Michael Lee/Black Brandon, sitting in a pool, smiling—something I never witnessed him do on The Wire. I am curious to see how this tough kid, who while on The Wire was weighed down by the ugly streets of Baltimore and was also quite good with a gun, will transform into a happy-go-lucky teen in Beverly Hills. Very curious.

2 comments:

Bliss said...

um yeah, black brandon looks a little too happy in that photo. we should have a viewing party...first watch like the most depressing episode from season four of the wire and then watch the 90210 premiere!!!

Princess Rotound-a said...

It's too much for me that Michael got the gig on 90210 and just like the Wire, Dookie is nowhere to be seen....

Is the blog the only way I will ever talk to you again?:)